Die Reichsburg in Cochem an der Mosel in Rheinland-Pfalz, Southwestern Germany, had its first documentary mention in 1130. In 1151, it was occupied by King Konrad III, who declared it Imperial castle. In 1688, it was overrun by French King Louis XIV’s troops in the course of the Nine Years’ War (Pfälzischer Erbfolgekrieg); the following year, they destroyed it. The castle complex lay in ruins until it was bought by Berlin businessman Louis Fréderic Jacques Ravené for 300 Goldmark and then reconstructed in the Gothic Revival style. Since 1978 it has been owned by the town of Cochem.
(Source: travelpotato, via ohdarlingdankeschoen)